Friday, December 4, 2009

First Impressions 12/1/09



We had a long day of travel on Thursday 11/19/09 from Arequipa to Lima, Peru. We flew to Lima and arrived at night. Once we had arrived we unpacked and met almost all of the Peruvian 40/40s. My fellow missionary Daniel had not arrived until the next day. The first night was very awkward mainly due to the language barrier and the silence. We spent three days in Lima building our new relationships before heading off to Iquitos. We then left for Iquitos on 11/22/09.

Today marks the start of my second week here in Iquitos. We arrived on Sunday the 22nd. The first thing I noticed is how much more uncivilized the city is. There are dirt roads and the houses aren’t as modern. I will attach some of the photos on this blog. As for the weather it is very different here. Wild, would be the best word to describe it. It’s always hot and humid and it rains about every other day. It’s nice when it rains because it cools down quite a bit. As for the people, they seem to be very friendly. Also they enjoy conversation. One thing that I have noted is that there is much spiritual need here in Iquitos. Drugs, alcohol, sex, you name it and there is an abundance here. The people here need hope. To me they look like prisoners walking around without a reason to live. Please be in prayer about this.

Right now my schedule is as follows. Monday through Friday we have Devotions in the morning at 6, breakfast at 7, then classes at 8 until 12pm. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday we have practice at our churches. Each pair of 40/40s has their own church that they attend on these days. My friend Daniel and I attend the church Madre De Dios. It is right in the middle of an area that appears to be in desperate need of the Gospel. During these days we will be discipling people, preaching, and reaching out to the community, all to prepare us for the real deal in Pucallpa where Daniel and I will be planting three churches.

From here I thank you all again for following my progress here in Peru and ask and encourage you to continue praying not only for me but also for the other missionaries here. Thanks so much.

No comments: